The skin is the largest organ in the human body. One of its main functions is to help maintain the right body temperature. If you get too hot, capillaries near the surface of the skin let the warm blood cool down. Moreover, nerve endings also enable you to feel pain. If your skin is not able to do this, you could get hurt without even knowing it.
The skin prevents dehydration and guards against harmful microbes while producing vitamin D when it is exposed to the sun. Since the skin plays an important role, you should practice proper skin care to keep it as healthy as possible.
Top 10 Skin Care Secrets
- Apply sunscreen every time you leave the house. Sunscreen can prevent skin cancer and slow down the process of aging. Look for sunblock that offers broad-spectrum protection and is water resistant. Opt for one that has an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Wash your face before going to bed and when you wake up.During the day, your skin is exposed to smog, smoke, and dirt. Grime can also stick to makeup. Make sure you wash your face and remove all makeup before sleeping. Clean your face when you wake up to eliminate any dirt and bacteria that might have settled on your face overnight.
- Practice gentle cleansing. The best way to wash your face is to clean it gently. Start by splashing lukewarm water. Apply a mild cleanser then rub it gently with your fingertips in a circular motion. Rinse completely with water and gently pat your face dry with a soft towel
- Skin care products should match your skin. Only use skin care products that match your skin type. Your skin may be oily, or too dry. Some people have particular skin disorders. All of these require certain skin care products. Make sure your skin product is specifically formulated for your skin needs.
- Go natural. You can use the following:
- Honey Face Mask. Raw honey is a natural way to repel bacteria and soften the skin. Once a week, apply a tablespoon of raw honey on your face and rub it gently with your fingertips. Leave on for 5 to 10 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Exfoliate Elbows and Knees. Cut an orange in half and rub it on your elbows and knees to soften those rough patches.
- Toxic-Free Shaving Cream. Coconut oil is another natural ingredient that can replace your chemical-based beauty cream. Apply on your legs before shaving.
- Honey and Lemon Blackhead Removal. Cut a lemon in half and place 4 or 5 drops of raw honey. Rub the lemon on your face and leave on for 5 minutes. Rinse with cold water.
- Do not scrub your skin. Be gentle with your skin and resist the urge to scrub. Rubbing with force can irritate the skin and worsen skin issues like acne. Make your own natural body scrub by combining olive oil with sea salt. This will help remove dead skin cells and give you a glowing soft skin.
- Do not smoke. Smoking is known to speed up aging. Tobacco smoke also worsens skin diseases such as psoriasis and hidradenitis suppurativa.
- Reduce stress. Skin diseases such as psoriasis, atopic dermatitis (eczema), rosacea, and acne often break out when someone feels really stressed.
- Do self-checks for skin cancer. Skin cancer is treatable if you catch it early. Do self-exams and look for spots that itch, bleed, or look different from the rest.
- Visit a dermatologist. If you find any abnormal symptoms, schedule a visit with your dermatologist. Skin doctors not only diagnose and treat diseases but also help rejuvenate your skin.
Which skin care tip did you like the most?